Emp bombs

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

truckie024
x4

Emp bombs

Post by truckie024 » Sun, 14. Apr 24, 09:49

Im having a few issues here, i have tried to get blueprints of vig medical factory as well as faf large habitats, the bombs attack and detinate but after that...nothing...nothing at all to scan...help!!!
MOBO asus maximus ix extreme
CPU 7800 intel i7
Ram 64gb
Graphics 2080 rtx TI XC 11GB ram
2X m.2 2TB drives
Water cooling Koolance exos 2.5

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Emp bombs

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 14. Apr 24, 10:00

I do know that you generally need a large area of flat surface for you to place the EMP in the middle and hope all 4 leaks are on that flat area. If you put the EMP on a complex irregular surface then the leaks can spawn anywhere including on inside surfaces. When you say nothing happens, are you listening for the sound effect made by leaks? That might show that there are leaks but you can't see them or maybe get to them.

Also, silly I know, but make sure that you have changed to EMP and are not using limpet mines! :D
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

truckie024
x4

Post by truckie024 » Sun, 14. Apr 24, 11:56

Yes flat surfaces n everything, theres no sounds abd the bar at bottom registeres nothibg to locate the probe on the complex, even when i go all the way around it top to bottom
MOBO asus maximus ix extreme
CPU 7800 intel i7
Ram 64gb
Graphics 2080 rtx TI XC 11GB ram
2X m.2 2TB drives
Water cooling Koolance exos 2.5

Feloidea
x4

Post by Feloidea » Sun, 14. Apr 24, 12:12

Do you have the relevant research?

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Sun, 14. Apr 24, 18:12

Research is irrelevant to the emp bombs functioning. They can be used to get discounts and even permanent trade subscriptions to a station if you don't have the relevant research for that module. More than likely the problem is the surface itself. Oftentimes, the bombs will go right through the surface and attach on the underside or even on something well behind that surface. If so, you can often fly your 'suit right through the surface and find them that way.

Edit: Typo
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Koizuki

Post by Koizuki » Sun, 14. Apr 24, 19:56

Make sure you're actually in scan mode, too. I may have accidentally forgotten to do this a couple times and wondered where anything was, until I remembered to actually go into scan mode and then they appeared right in front of me.

That said, the most common issue (like 70%+ of the time) is that it spawns the leaks inside the visible geometry of the structure, even on the really flat parts (like the empty connector pieces, for example.) You can kind of wiggle your 'head' / camera inside it a bit if you go carefully to avoid being bumped out and you can search around for any that are just under the surface, but sometimes it spawns way behind the hitbox and you can't get to it no matter what. The devs really need to make these leaks spawn a bit further out. I get they probably don't want random floating leaks in space, but right now they spawn inside geometry far too often. Pushing the minimum distance outward from the surface 3-5m should in most cases work well enough to make them all visible, I think. I always make sure to make a quick save of the game right before I toss out an EMP just in case that spot ends up spawning any leaks inside geometry, then reload and try a different spot if so.

kurushimi0
x4

Post by kurushimi0 » Sat, 4. May 24, 00:54

I came looking for a place to put a bug report on EMP grenades, but it looks like others are commenting already on this frustration. Often, I'll launch an EMP grenade and see the data leaks in spots that are only slightly out of reach -- the hit box prevents me from getting close enough, even though the data leak is so close. I would love it if Egosoft would extend the range of the spacesuit scanner by about 25% -- that would allow for many currently inaccessible data leaks to be within range. It's not fun, having to save/load/reload just to find a spot where the hit box is in sync with the appearance of the station. Slightly extending the range of the spacesuit scanner would go a long way towards fixing this often frustrating game mechanic.

Return to “X4: Foundations”